The Duke of Sussex, 35, wore body armor and a protective visor as he walked through the partially cleared minefield in Dirico to highlight the ongoing threat of land mines in the region.
It comes 22 years after the late Princess of Wales made headlines globally following a minefield walk in the same country in January 1997.
The duke joined British charity The HALO Trust on Friday – the same charity that his mother accompanied during her iconic minefield visit more than two decades ago.
The south-eastern town of Dirico is a former artillery base for anti-government forces who left mines in the position in 2000 before retreating.
An Instagram post shared on the Sussex Royal account on Friday said Prince Harry was “humbled to be visiting a place and a community that was so special to his mother.”
Prince Harry was escorted on the site by Jose Antonio, a regional manager for The HALO Trust. He was also given safety instructions before walking and was told to stay within the clear lanes. He was also advised not to touch anything or run.
During his visit, the duke watched a mine clearance worker use a metal detector to search for any anti-personnel weapons still buried in the ground.
Towards the end of his visit, the duke set off a decades-old mine, which had been discovered earlier that day, in a controlled explosion to safely destroy it.
A photo was also posted of Princess Diana on the Sussex Royal Instagram account acknowledging that Prince Harry was retracing “his mother’s steps to see the legacy of her work.”
The Duchess of Sussex, who accompanied Harry overseas for their 10-day royal tour, stayed in South Africa with four-month-old son Archie. The family will reunite in Johannesburg on Tuesday following Harry’s visit to Malawi this weekend.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle