Have you ever wanted to dress up like someone from your favorite film but don’t know where to begin? Well, we compiled a list of 52 movie character costumes that are not only super recognizable, but they’re also extremely easy to recreate at home for Halloween. (Because crafty activities and spooky cupcakes can only take you so far.)
From Hocus Pocus to The Matrix, keep reading for the best movie character costumes.
1. Gal Gadot in 'Wonder Woman'
Character: Wonder Woman
So you can fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
2. Constance Wu in 'Crazy Rich Asians'
Character: Rachel Chu
3. Uma Thurman in 'Pulp Fiction'
Character: Mia Wallace
You may already have these pieces in your closet.
4. Tom Hanks in 'Forrest Gump'
Character: Forrest Gump
Box of chocolates not included.
5. Lucy Liu in 'Charlie's Angels'
Character: Alex Munday
Shh…don’t tell Charlie.
6. Margot Robbie in 'Suicide Squad'
Character: Harley Quinn
Because everyone deserves a walk on the wild side.
7. Tyra Banks in 'Life-Size'
Hi, I’m Eve. And you’re my special friend.
8. Kate Hudson in 'Almost Famous'
Character: Penny Lane
Dressing like famous people is just more interesting, amirite?
9. Robin Williams in 'Mrs. Doubtfire'
Character: Mrs. Doubtfire
Who needs prosthetics?
10. Lupita Nyong'o in 'Black Panther'
In Wakanda we trust.
11. Reese Witherspoon in 'Legally Blonde'
Character: Elle Woods
What, like it’s hard?
12. Kirsten Dunst in 'Bring it On'
Character: Torrance Shipman
There must be some Torros in the atmosphere.
13. Gabrielle Union in 'Bring it On'
Or the Clovers, if that’s your thing.
14. Jennifer Hudson in 'Dreamgirls'
Character: Effie White
Flawless vocals not required.
15. Christina Ricci in 'The Addams Family'
Character: Wednesday Addams
Simple, yet recognizable.
16. Laurence Fishburne in 'The Matrix'
Ideal for long jacket lovers.
17. Gwyneth Paltrow in 'The Royal Tenenbaums'
Character: Margot Tenenbaum
It’s the closest thing to actual royalty.
18. Molly Ringwald in 'Pretty in Pink'
Character: Andie Walsh
Cue Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark’s “If You Leave.”
Get the look: Style Cheat halterneck dress ($98)
19. Liu Yifei in 'Mulan'
To defeat the Huns.
20. Michael J. Fox in 'Back to the Future'
Character: Marty McFly
It’s Doc approved.
21. Nick Castle in 'Halloween'
Character: Michael Myers
Everyone’s entitled to one good scare.
22. Amanda Seyfried in 'Mean Girls'
Character: Karen Smith
“K” is for Karen…right?
23. Natalie Portman in 'Black Swan'
Character: Nina Sayers
Can also double as a ballerina.
24. Bill Murray in 'Ghostbusters'
Character: Peter Venkman
Who you gonna call?
Get the look: Rubie's Store costume with inflatable backpack ($24)
25. Judy Garland in 'The Wizard of Oz'
Character: Dorothy Gale
There’s no place like home.
26. Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'
Character: Holly Golightly
Chic and timeless.
27. Lana Condor in 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before'
Character: Lara Jean
Peter Kavinsky…need we say more?
28. Emma Stone in 'La La Land'
“The City of Stars” is already stuck in our head.
29. Alicia Silverstone in 'Clueless'
Character: Cher Horowitz
30. Antonio Banderas in 'The Mask of Zorro'
Toy sword FTW.
31. Marilyn Monroe in 'The Seven Year Itch'
Character: The girl
A portable fan is a must.
32. Olivia Newton-John in 'Grease'
Character: Sandy Olsson
Hopelessly devoted to nailing this costume.
33. John Travolta in 'Grease'
Character: Danny Zuko
We’ve got chills, they’re multiplying.
34. Minion in 'Despicable Me'
Get the look: Rubie's inflatable costume ($52)
35. Emma Watson in 'Beauty and the Beast'
Tale as old as time.
36. Bette Midler in 'Hocus Pocus'
Character: Winifred Sanderson
Another glorious morning. Makes me sick.
37. Natalie Portman in 'Jackie'
Character: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
First lady vibes.
Get the look: MyPartyShirt '60s costume set ($31)
38. Elaine Hendrix in 'The Parent Trap'
Character: Meredith Blake
Bonus points for an Evian bottle prop.
39. Rachel McAdams in 'The Notebook'
Character: Allie Hamilton
Noah won’t be able to resist.
40. Ryan Gosling in 'The Notebook'
Character: Noah, Jr.
If he’s a bird, we’re a bird.
41. Hilary Swank in 'Million Dollar Baby'
Character: Maggie Fitzgerald
42. Anne Hathaway in 'The Princess Diaries'
Character: Mia Thermopolis
43. Carrie Fisher in 'Star Wars'
Character: Princess Leia
May the force be with you.
44. Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman'
Character: Vivian Ward
If you don’t wear it, it’ll be a big mistake. HUGE!
45. Julie Andrews in 'Mary Poppins'
Character: Mary Poppins
Add a spoonful of sugar for even more fun.
46. Keira Knightley in 'Anna Karenina'
Character: Anna Karenina
A stunning costume, to say the least.
47. Gwyneth Paltrow in 'Shakespeare in Love'
Character: Viola De Lesseps
Renaissance fashion at its finest.
Get the look: Auscosplay victorian dress ($106)
48. Anika Noni Rose in 'Princess and the Frog'
Character: Princess Tiana
A true classic.
49. Lily James in 'Cinderella'
Just don’t forget the glass slippers.
50. Uma Thurman in 'Kill Bill: Volume 1'
Character: The Bride
Practically any yellow jumper will suffice.
51. Rita Moreno in 'West Side Story'
Her wardrobe is as retro as it gets, but this pink number takes the cake.
52. Drew Barrymore in 'Never Been Kissed'
Character: Josie Geller
The ’90s nostalgia is aplenty.